Geography and population
The Region of Kyustendil is situated in the South-Western part of Bulgaria. The region covers a territory of 3084 sq.km. and has a population of 174000 people. To the West, Kyustendil region borders coincide with the state borders between Bulgaria and the Republic of Macedonia, and Bulgaria and the Republic of Serbia. The region is most famous for its numerous mineral water springs.
The administrative centre of the region is the town of Kyustendil. The town is 500m above sea level. It is 90 km far from Sofia.
Major road transport hubs are the towns of Kyustendil and Dupnitsa. There are two important rail-ways cross the region: Sofia-Blagoevgrad-Kulata and Sofia-Radomir-Gyueshevo. The Velbazhd mountain pass provides direct connection to Makedonia. There are two cross-border check-points in the Region: “Gyueshevo” (with Makedonia) and “Oltomantsi” (with Serbia).
Places of interest
Built in the beautiful Rila Mountain, close to the sanctuary of St. Ivan of Rila, the Guardian-Saint of the Bulgarians, the Monastery preserved Bulgarian national spirit through the centuries of vicissitudes.
Hissarluka is a hill rising South of the town of Kyustendil. During the Middle Ages it was deforested and subjected to erosion. In the end of the XIX century and the beginning of the XX-th under the guidance of Yordan Mitrev it was covered with pine-trees. The area the park is placed on is at about 1300 decares.
The fortress- known as The Acropolis of Pautalia, which is today a part of the whole architectural ensemble is built on the slope of the park.
Skakavitza waterfall is situated in the northern part of Kyustehdil region. According to its head of water - 70m it is the third major one in Bulgsria. It is formed from the right feeder of Struma river- Shirok Dol - in the Eastern slopes of the Zemen mountain.
The Kadin Bridge
The Kadin Bridge was built over the Struma River in the village of Nevestino. This village is situated in 14 km distance of Kyustendil. The bridge is one of the greatest monuments on the Balkan Peninsula, witch has survived over the centuries of the Turkish yoke. It was built at the order of the grand vizir Isaak pasha who passed through the lands of Kyustendil in 1463. The bridge has five circle vaults, the highest of which is the middle one. It is made of granite and is covered with granite plates.
Business information and contact data
Office of the Governor of Kyustendil
Tel. (+359 78) 55-06-70; Fax: (+359 78) 55-06-90
firstname.lastname@example.org ; www.kn.government.bg