Self-confident Riviera town swaggered of the place comes as a breath of fresh air after the more austere appearance of much of Bulgaria. It rivals Sofia and Plovdiv with providing wide range of sights and museums, from the outstanding treasures of the Archaeology Museum to the of-the-wall ghoulishness of the Museum of Medical History. Of its cultural attractions most notable is the Varnensko Liato (Varna Summer) a summer-long festival of classical music, folklore, jazz, which attracts world-class performers. As well as being a beach resort on its own Varna offers an access to the purpose built tourist complexes of St. Constantine and Elena now swallowed up by the Varna suburbs and other resorts – Sunny Day, Golden Sands and Albena to the north. Also within easy reach are quieter seaside villages like Kranevo, and popular daytrip destinations as the nature reserve Kamchya, the rocky monastery at Aladzha, and Queen Marie of Romania’s formerpalace at Balchik.
Varna has population of nearly 350,000 and boasts with array of clubs and night venues all around the city and the nearby complex of “Golden Sands”, while the social life revolves around Nezavisimost Square, where the opera house and fountain provide the backdrop for an array of restaurants and cafés. The square is the starting point of Varna’s evening promenade, which flows eastwards from here along bul. Kniaz Boris I. To the north of Nezavisimost Square Varna’s main lateral boulevard cuts through the Metropolit Simon Square, an important traffic intersection dominated by the doomed Cathedral of the Assumption. Constructed in 1886 alongside the lines of St. Petersburg’s cathedral, it contains splendid iconostasis and bishop’s throne, supported by a magnificent pair of winged panthers, carved by craftsmen from Debar and Macedonia.
Varna is served by international airport situated in the East outskirts of the city. Charter flights are available from some UK airports and there are talks that low-cost airlines are to be flying soon to Varna too. There are a few daily bus and train connections with the capital Sofia and the other parts of Bulgaria.
- Bus schedule Sofia-Varna
There is ample stock of accommodation in Varna throughout the year, and several accommodation bureaux around town. As to the hotels there will be no shortage of hotel rooms, largely due to the increasing number of small pensions and family-run hotels. If you are buying a property recommendable is to go for the one of the central hotels which are within a walking distance of most local estates agents offices, including ours which is just opposite “Black Sea” Hotel.
The five universities in Varna enrol about 30,600 students.
- The University of Economics was established in 1920 by the Varna Chamber of Trade and Commerce. Currently it educates over 10,000 Bulgarian and foreign students in 13 majors, among which are International Economic Relations, International Tourism, Finance and Banking, Marketing, etc. Affiliated to the university is the College of Tourism.
- The Naval Academy is the centre of marine education and research in Bulgaria. It trains officers for the Bulgarian Navy and the Merchant Marine in accordance with international standards, specializing in Navigation and Ship Engineering. The Naval Academy is member of the International Association of Maritime Universities and the International Maritime Language Association.
- The University of Medicine and the University Hospital provide excellent conditions for medical education, postgraduate qualification, patient diagnosis and treatment. Currently the University is working on a project to establish a transplantation centre.
- The Technical University consists of eight Faculties and two Colleges. The university has an Area Center for Distance Education and several Local Centers for Distance Education located in other towns in Eastern Bulgaria. Specialist's, Bachelor's, and Master's degrees are awarded. During the academic year 1999/2000, the University educated 5,100 full-time students, 2,500 part-time students, 90 foreign students, and 75 Bulgarian and foreign postgraduates.
- The Varna Free University has over 10,000 students and offers Specialist's, Bachelor's, Master's and Doctor's degrees in a wide variety of majors.
Business information and contact data
Economic Development Agency, Varna
2, Shipka Str.
Tel/Fax:( +359 52) 606 274, :( +359 52) 606 275
Mobile: +359 887/934 526
Executive Director: Ms. Dora Dimitrova
Union of Bulgarian Black Sea Local Authorities /UBBSLA/
Tel. +359 52 602122
Fax: +359 52 602122
Tel. +35952 600616
Fax: +35952 605757
Varna Chamber of Commerce and Industry
135, Primorsky Blvd.
Tel: (+ 359 52) 61 51 40; 23 90 18; 61 21 73
Fax: (+ 359 52) 61 21 46
In city of Varna is located the only branch of the Bulgarian National Bank outside Sofia. All major Bulgarian banks as well as a large number of leading international financial institutions are present in the city to provide services for its intensive business life.
Among the international investors in the financial sector are Societe General, Allianz, Raiffeisen bank, QBE, BNP Pariba, ING, etc. Some smaller foreign banks are specialized in financing start-ups and SME’s.